Middle-Class Scholarships (MCS) 2023
Middle-Class Scholarships were established to provide financial support to students, whose families fall into the middle-class category in the State of California, and at the same time wish to attend either the University of California or California State University.
Middle-Class Scholarships are funded each academic year by the State Government of California. However, students at the University of California would receive a scholarship fund that pays for about 40% of their tuition fees.
The scholarship amount received by students who applied, and were found eligible for the Middle-Class Scholarship will vary according to; students family income and assets, and students’ possession of other financial awards.
For instance, students who wish to apply for the Middle-Class Scholarship and have a family income of about $191,000, with assets of about $191,000, will receive a scholarship fund from the Middle-Class scholarship that will cover about 10-40% of the student tuition fees system-wide, as they study either at the University of California or California State University.
Although one of the eligibility requirements for the Middle-Class Scholarship is that; students who are already receiving financial assistance from another scholarship, must not exceed the scholarship fund that a student is expected to receive when found eligible for the Middle-Class Scholarship.
This article contains other eligibility requirements, and other important information on Middle-Class Scholarship, alongside the application process.
Eligibility Criteria for the Middle-Class Scholarships
- Undergraduates or students who wish to earn a teaching credential are eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be willing to attend either the University of California or California State University.
- In most cases, students who wish to apply but their family income plus assets equals $201,000, are eligible to apply.
- Students who are already receiving, a scholarship that pays for their tuition fees are not eligible for the Middle-Class Scholarship.
- Applicants must be residing in California and must be a citizen of the United States of America.
- Applicants must possess good academic qualifications or results.
- Applicants must not have any bad records or failure to pay their student loans.
- Applicants who do not have a social unity number but have a TPS visa or DACA in their possession, are expected to complete the CA Dream Act Application form before they would be eligible for the Middle-Class Scholarship.
However, please note that in a case where students required help completing the FAFSA or CA Dream Act form, then they could attend fresh cash for College workshops in their community that starts the first week of October.
Read Also 15 Best Unclaimed Scholarships in Canada
How to Apply for the Middle-Class Scholarships
Are you interested in applying for the scholarship? Then follow the guidelines below;
- Students must apply for a spot at the University of California or California State University. They could also apply for other scholarships at the University.
- Applicants must apply for FAFSA or a California Dream Act form either in March or October.
- Once students have submitted either a FAFSA or Dream Act form, they must create web grants for students to enable them to keep a regular record of their state scholarship fund. The web giants that would be created by students are secure and personalized, for each student and provide easy access to their scholarship funds.
- Applicants must verify or confirm that their California grant grade point average verification was submitted.
- However, most community colleges and secondary schools in California help their students submit their grade point average, on their behalf so they could be eligible for California scholarships. But in a case where your community college or high school didn’t upload your grade point average, then students should download the Cal Grant GPA form online or they could download the Non-SSN GPA verification form online to enable them to submit their grade point average
- Students who are not yet citizens of the United States, but would receive a pass soon must ensure that their grade point average is submitted by their college, or secondary school to the California Student Aid Commission.
Read Also Dundalk Institute of Technology Financial Aid Scholarships for International Students 2022-2023
Other Information on the Middle-Class Scholarships
- Once students have recovered the scholarship they could renew the scholarship for 4 years, depending on the student’s academic level when they received the scholarship.
- Applicants may not receive the same amount once awarded the scholarship. Scholarship funds will be dependent on the student’s cost of attendance, at the University of California or California State University.
- Scholarship funds received by students or applicants who were found eligible, and selected for the Middle-Class Scholarship will be dependent on 3 factors listed below;
- Present scholarship funds received by students or applicants regardless, of whether it is funded by the federal government, state government or the University.
- Students’ self-help contribution of about $7,898.
- Financial support is received by students from their parents, who have an income of about $100,000.
- Selected applicants for the Middle-Class Scholarship, would be dependent on the number of students that were found eligible in California and the funding provided by the State government.
- The scholarship fund could be reduced for any academic year IF the available funds, are unable to pay every student found eligible and selected.
- Once applicants are eligible for the scholarship, they would be immediately notified by the California Student Aid Commission either in July or August at most.
In conclusion, the income received by students for the Middle-Class Scholarship alongside assets qualifications will be adjusted by the State government yearly, using the cumulative data change in California per capita generated income from the previous year.
Interested applicants should note that the California Student Aid Commission, is fully in charge of the Middle-Class Scholarship and would verify if a student is eligible or not.
However, eligible criteria or requirements could be adjusted or fully changed for each academic year, depending on regulations put in place by the State government.
Was this article helpful? If yes, why not follow my page for more information on Middle-Class scholarships, eligibility requirements and other scholarship funds available to students all over the world.
Kindly drop all questions and comments in the gaps provided below.