32 Questions To Ask A Potential College Roommate
Going To college is a whole different experience, and there are high chances you’ll get to meet different people from diverse places and cultures.
Also when going to college, you’d eventually need to have a roommate or roommates whether you’re staying in a dorm or a flat, and there are important questions you need to ask your potential roommate to check compatibility before moving in with them.
Roommates can provide support, friendship, and camaraderie while attending school.
However, choosing the right roommate is important. Here are some tips for choosing a potential college roommate:
Tips For Choosing A Potential College Roommate
1. Ask Around
Talk to your friends, family members, and other students about who they would recommend as a good roommate. Be sure to ask about their experiences living with that person.
2. Meet The Potential Roommate In Person
Once you have a few potential candidates, meet them in person to get a better sense of who they are and how they would behave as roommates.
This will also allow you to see if they live up to the expectations you have for a potential college roommate.
3. Do Your Research
Before agreeing to be roommates with someone, do your research on this person.
It is important to do your research and ask the roommates questions about their living situation and preferences.
This will help ensure that both of your lives are as comfortable as possible.
Why Is It Important To Ask Your Potential College Roommate Questions Before Moving In Together?
Moving in together is a big decision and one that should be taken seriously.
When you are looking to live in close quarters with a new potential roommate, it is important to ask questions and get to know them well.
There are a few key things to keep in mind when vetting your potential roommate:
- Are they a good fit for you? It is important that you two share similar interests and values so that living together is enjoyable.
If you feel like your roommate does not match up with what you are looking for, it may be best to look for another option.
- Do their habits align with yours? Are their cleaning habits compatible with your own? Are they night owls or early birds?
Do their habits clash with any of your obligations (work schedule, childcare arrangements)?
- What kind of space do they have? Is the bedroom spacious enough for both of your needs? Will there be enough storage available if necessary?
Before you do anything, make sure that you have all the facts about your potential roommate and their character.
This way, you can make an informed decision about whether or not to move in together.
Now let’s look at 32 common and basic questions you want to ask your potential College Roommate before moving into an apartment together.
32 Questions To Ask A Potential College Roommate
These questions are not compulsory, this is just a guide to help you out, you can decide to tailor your questions on a more personal level.
1. Are you a morning person or a night person?
2. Do you or will you take part in any extracurricular activities like sports or clubs?
3. Do you currently work or do you plan to work?
4. What course do you major in?
5. Would you prefer to sleep with the lights on or would you prefer them to be turned off?
6. Do you own any large appliances like fridges or washing machines that you’d allow to be shared or not?
7. Are you open to sharing personal belongings?
8. What kind of personal belongings or things are you comfortable or not comfortable sharing?
9. Would you prefer to personalize your portion of the dorm room or are you looking to harmonize the decor?
10. Have you ever shared a home with someone? How did you find that experience to be?
11. What do you think about chores? Have any suggestions for how to split them?
12. How spotless must the area be for you to feel at ease?
13. What are your thoughts on visitors? Are they allowed and what are the terms of their stay?
15. Do you intend to travel home on the weekends or during the holidays?
16. Which method of study do you prefer?
17. Do you intend to remain in the room while studying or will you be using another area, such as the library?
18. Do you require absolute silence if you’re studying here?
19. Do you have any allergies I should be aware of?
20. What are the severity of your allergies and how can we avoid bringing in things that cause them?
21. Do you have any pet peeves about living with others?
22. Which genres of music do you enjoy?
23. What strategy do you believe will be most effective for resolving our disagreement?
24. Is your income sufficient to cover your portion of the rent and expenses?
25. How would you make sure you could cover half of the bills if you lost your job?
26. How do you see managing shared areas in terms of chores? Would you want, for instance, a formal, rotating schedule?
27. Will you be engaging in any hobbies in the room?
28. Do you have any religious beliefs or restrictions I should be aware of?
29. Do you take alcohol or cigarettes, and do you intend to do this once you are inside the house/apartment?
30. Would you prefer to cook and eat meals together or on your own?
31. What do you prefer to do when you’re not at school or work?
32. Do you intend to remain the entire year or simply the academic year?
It is always a good idea to ask questions when considering a potential college roommate.
These 32 questions to ask a potential college roommate that have been discussed are basic but important.
These questions will help you to make the best decision for yourself and minimize any potential problems down the road.
Remember to be honest and upfront with your potential roommate, and don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any doubts or concerns.