The University of Liverpool PhD. International Studentships 2021/2022
Are you desirous to work with computer scientists and material scientists in your research? Then the University of Liverpool PhD studentship for Discovery of Solid-State Electrolytes is a perfect opportunity for you.
The University is devoted to providing quality education and note-worthy research. So, this is a perfect avenue to stretch yourself and do that research.
But, before information about the studentship is disclosed, it is important to discuss about the university that is hosting the studentship. As a student, it is important to know details, at least in brief, of the university you would learn in.
Brief Description of University of Liverpool PhD
The University of Liverpool is a public research university located in Liverpool, England. It is considered the first to be referred to as an original ‘redbrick’ university; one of the six (6) ‘redbricks’ civic universities.
Although it was established in 1881, it was established as a college, called the University College Liverpool. It started its academic session in 1882, offering admission to students in the same year.
The University college became a part of the federal Victoria University. In 1894, Oliver Lodge, a professor in the university college made history when he made the world’s first public radio transmission and two years later, took the first surgical x-ray in the United States.
The Liverpool University Press was established in 1899. This made it the third oldest university press in England. At that time, since the university college hadn’t received a royal charter that gives it the ability to confer degrees, the students were awarded external degrees by the University of London.
However, in 1903, the University College received the much-awaited royal charter, coupled with an act of parliament and it became an independent university, named the University of Liverpool. It gave the university the right to confer degrees to its students.
- Microsoft Research Graduate Women’s Scholarship Grants 2021/2022
- Google Lime Scholarship Awards for Students with Disabilities 2021/2022
- Top 22 Full Scholarship Opportunity For Foreign Students In The USA.
In the years that followed, the university recorded groundbreaking discoveries such as the discovery of Synapse by Sir Charles Sherrington and William Blair-Bell’s work on chemotherapy.
The University was also one of the founding members of the Russell Group. The Russell Group is a collaboration of twenty (20) leading research-intensive universities. The University of Liverpool is also a founding member of the N8 Group in 2004. The university is famous for Computer Science, Architecture, Engineering, and Chemistry.
Among its alumni, the university has produced ten (10) Nobel prize winners from different fields which are: the field of science, medicine, economics, and peace. The names of the Nobel Laureate winners are:
- Sir Ronald Ross (a physician)
- Physicist Martin Lewis Perl
- Physicist Charles Barkia
- Sir Charles Sherrington (psychologist)
- Physicist Sir James Chadwick
- Chemist Har Gobind Khorana
- Psychologist Rodney Porter, amongst others.
Faculties/ Schools in The University of Liverpool
The University of Liverpool is divided into three (3) faculties organized into thirty-five (35) departments and schools. The faculties are:
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Health and Life Sciences, and
- Science and Engineering
The departments and schools include but are not limited to:
- School of Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering and Industrial Design
- Department of Materials, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- School of Electrical Engineering, Electronics, and Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering and Electronics
- Computer Science
- School of Environmental Sciences
- Earth, Ocean, and Ecological Sciences
- Geography and Planning
- School of Physical Science
- Mathematical Sciences
- School of Medicine
- Molecular and Clinical Cancer Medicine
- Molecular and Clinical Pharmacology
- Musculoskeletal Biology
- Latin American Studies
University of Liverpool Rankings
Rankings are classifications given to universities by different accredited higher education institution ranking reports based on academic performance, research level, student performance, graduate employability, and such. The University of Liverpool’s rankings include, but are not limited to:
- In subject rankings, the University ranked 1st in the United Kingdom in both Chemistry and Computer Science.
- 20th in the United Kingdom’s most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF) for research power.
- 30th in the Times University Guide 2022.
- 40th in Guardian University Guide 2022
- 81% of the university’s research is ranked ‘world leading ‘ or ‘internationally excellence.’
- 189th in QS World University Rankings 2022
- 178th in Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022
- 101st – 150th in Academic Rankings of World Universities 2021
Details of the University of Liverpool Ph.D. International Studentships in Discovery of Solid-State Electrolytes 2021/2022
What is a Solid State Electrolyte?
A solid-state electrolyte (SSE) is a solid ionic conductor and electron-insulating material and it is the characteristic component of the solid-state battery. Michael Faraday was the first to discover electrolytes in a solid state. Armed with this knowledge, we now delve into the details of the Studentship.
Students from across the world and nationals of the United Kingdom are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
Eligible course or field of study:
Students can embark on a Ph.D. research program in chemical sciences at the University of Liverpool.
The following criteria are expected to be fulfilled by the candidate for eligibility:
- The candidate/ candidates are required to have strong math and programming skills.
- The applicants must have a second class upper (2:1) or a master’s degree (or an equivalent degree) in Computer Science, Physics, or material science, particularly candidates with some skills directly relevant to the project.
The following English Language Proficiency Tests scores are required from candidates to be submitted for eligibility:
- International English Language Test Service (IELTS) – 88
- C1 Advanced Cambridge Advanced English (CAE) – 176
- Test of English Internet Based Test (TOEFL IBT) – 88
Value of the Scholarship
The University of Liverpool will provide the selected candidates with Ph.D. total tuition fees and a maintenance grant at the UKRI rate, for €15,609 per annum for three to five (3-5) years.
How to Apply:
Students are to submit an admission application for enrollment in the above-stated fields of study.
Candidates interested in applying for the studentship must ensure that they quote the following reference on their application: ‘Reference CCPR035 Discovery of solid-state electrolytes using Deep Learning.’
The following documents are required to be included in the application to the university:
- School or college transcripts/ certificates
- University transcripts
- Degree certificates
- Personal statements
- Two references signed and on letter headed paper
- Research proposal.
The closing date for students’ applications is July 2022.
The University of Liverpool offers this scholarship for talented and research-driven students who desire to push through in the aspect of research.
The University of Liverpool’s silver lining in the area of research gives researchers an already paved pathway to follow. Are you research-driven in the field of Discovery of Solid state Electrolytes? Then go ahead and apply for this studentship.