The University of Southampton PhD. International Studentships in Nonlinear Photon Sources for Quantum Technologies 2021/2022
Southampton is a beautiful city in England with a lot of scenery and positive qualities. It is ranked as the 6th safest city in the United States, with a total of twenty (20) green walkable parks in its environs.
The city is considered a student city housing more than 33,000 students. It is also a diverse city, resident-friendly, with residents from over 55 countries.
It is in this beautiful city that the University of Southampton is located.
Brief Introduction and History of The University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is a public research university in Southampton, England. Southampton is a founding member of the Russell Group of research-intensive universities in the United Kingdom.
Founded in 1862 as the Hartley Institution, the university went through a journey before it gained the royal charter to become the University of Southampton in 1962.
It started as the Hartley Institution formed in 1862 from a benefaction by Henry Robinson Hartley born in 1777 and died in 1850. Hartley had inherited a huge fortune from two generations of successful wine merchants and at his death, he left a bequest of €103,000 to the Southampton corporation for the study and advancement of the sciences in his property on Southampton’s High street in the city center.
An extract of his bequest state
” employ the interest, dividends and annual proceeds in such a manner as best promotes the study and advancement of the sciences of Natural History, Astronomy, Antiquities, classical and Oriental Literature in the town, such as by forming a Public Library, Botanic Gardens, Observatory, and collections of objects with the above sciences.”
Although this bequest was very generous, Hartley was considered an eccentric straggler. He did not desire to establish a college for every ‘Tom, Dick, and Harry,’ but a cultural center for the Intellectual elites in Southampton.
- Harbin Engineering University International Marine Scholarship Grants 2021/2022
- University of Saskatchewan International Scholarship Grants 2021/2022
- Leeds University Ph.D. Scholarship Awards 2021/2022
- Dr Valeria Fleming STEM Scholarship Grants at Fayetteville State University 2021/2022
After a series of lengthy legal challenges to the bequest, the Southampton Corporation chose to create the Institute, rather than a widely accepted college.
On the the15th day of October 1862, the Hartley Institute was opened by the then Prime Minister Lord Palmerston. The opening featured A large occasion that went far in splendor beyond anything the town had ever witnessed.
Howbeit, after the pomp opening, the Institute suffered years of severe financial lack that pushed it to become the Hartley College in 1883.
As this happened, rue number of students and staff registered a tremendous increase that led to an expansion of facilities and registered lodgings for students.
In 1902, Hartley College became Hartley University College, a degree awarding branch of the University of London. An increase in students impelled fundraising efforts to relocate the college to a larger area.
The Greenfield area around Back Lane (presently University road) in the Highfield of Southampton was the stipulated area. On the 14th day of June, the new site was opened by Viscount Haldane. However, the outbreak of the First World War impeded lectures for years.
Finally, Queen Elizabeth II granted a Royal Charter on the 39th day of April 1952, to the University of Southampton, the first to be given to a University during her reign.
This Royal Charter enabled the university to award degrees to its students. Six faculties were then created:
- Education, and
The University of Southampton has a total of seven (7) educational campuses. They are:
- Highfield Campus (The university’s main campus).
- Avenue Campus (Home to the faculty of humanities with the exception of music)
- Boldrewood Campus (contains the University’s new Maritime Center of Excellence, the Southampton Marine and Maritime Institute, and Lloyd’s Register’s Group Technology Center)
- National Oceanographic Center, Southampton (NOCS)
- University Hospital Southampton (UHS)
- Winchester School of Art ( It is located in Winchester and holds the University’s arts and textile courses that are part of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities)
- Malaysia Campus – the University of Southampton, Malaysia (located in Iskandar Puten, Malaysia, the University opened its first international campus in October 2012.
University of Southampton Rankings
- Top 100 by QS World University Rankings 2022 (In the bases indicators such as research excellence and employability)
- Top 15 in The United Kingdom
- 15th in the Complete University Guide 2022
- 16th in the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022
- 17th in the Guardian University Guide 2022
The University of Southampton Ph.D. International Studentship in Nonlinear Photon Sources for Quantum Technologies
The University of Southampton is
granting studentships to photonics
pioneers interested in conducting a research study in the United Kingdom who apply for the Ph.D. studentship in Nonlinear Photon Sources for Quantum Technologies.
Eligible Countries :
International Students from the EU and national students from The United Kingdom are eligible for application.
Eligible Fields/ course of study :
The department available is the Zepler Institute for Photonics and Nanoelectronics.
Eligible Level of study :
For students to be eligible for the studentship, the given criteria are expected to be met:
- Applicants are required to possess a very good undergraduate degree (a minimum of the United Kingdom’s 2:1 honors degree or any international degree equivalent to that).
Award: €18000 for up to three to five (3 – 5) years.
How to apply:
Applicants are to submit their application for admission on the university’s student portal. Details for the scholarship can be found in the ‘how to apply section of the studentship application.
Candidates are expected to submit the following documents to the university
- Research Proposal
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Two (2) reference letters
- Degree transcripts to date.
Admission Requirements :
Candidates are required to hold good degrees ( First class or a minimum of second class honors and/or Master’s degree) in physics, material science, mechanical or electronic engineering.
Language Requirements :
The University of Southampton has specific language requirements for candidates to provide in order to be considered eligible. However, the basic English Language Proficiency Tests and their scores include:
- International English Language Test Service (IELTS): 6.5 overall and a minimum of 5.5 in reading, listening, speaking, and writing.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-based Test (TOEFL IBT): An overall minimum of 92 points; minimum of 17 in listening, 20 in speaking, 18 in reading, and 19 in writing.
Benefits of the scholarship:
The University of Southampton would provide a full tuition fee for selected cAndidates outside the United Kingdom plus the addition of an enhanced stipend of €18000 tax-free per annum for only students in the United Kingdom for up to 3 – 5 years.
The application for the Southampton studentship ends on Wednesday, 31st August 2022.
In conclusion, if you are considering starting research on Nonlinear Photon sources for Quantum Technologies, the University of Southampton might just be the best place for you.