University of Cambridge Bill Gates Scholarship Grants 2021/2022
The University of Cambridge Bill Gates Scholarship has attracted the very best minds since 1209.
The University is offering interested students the opportunity to be funded by the Bill Gates scholarship grant study at the University of Cambridge.
About The University of Cambridge Bill Gates Scholarship:
Before you go running in excitement, I would like the University of Cambridge Bill Gates Scholarship to help you understand a bit more about the scholarship and prospective scholars for the scholarship.
Yes, it is the Microsoft Bill Gates.
Through the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, they offer a monetary donation (this would be specified under the value of scholarship) to assist students to be educated from one of the educational systems in the world.
Being a recipient of the Gates Cambridge Scholar at the University of Cambridge is an exhilarating opportunity.
Ideally, the scholarship board, while in the auditing and selection of eligible scholars, they are searching for scholars who come from diverse backgrounds and each brings something unique to the programme.
Diversity however is not the only grounds for selection as academic excellence is also a major factor.
To be selected for this competitive scholarship, you must show evidence of academic excellence (through your transcripts, references, experience and the potential to succeed in the chosen course).
The selection procedure would require that your selected course academic departments at the University of Cambridge nominate only the most academically outstanding applicants for a Cambridge Bill Gates Scholarship, which ensures that those selected will thrive at Cambridge.
So before you rush to apply, gather your academic transcripts as it is what would be used to judge if you meet the academic standard.
Besides, along with your degree, you will have numerous opportunities for personal and professional growth and the opportunity to develop an international and diverse network of friends and colleagues.
Candidates with leadership qualities and evidence to back the string leadership skills are also ideal for this scholarship.
Finally, you should be able to make a strong case for a particular postgraduate degree at Cambridge.
PhD applicants (and most research MPhil applicants) will need to make contact with a potential supervisor with whom they will develop a research project, a summary of which is part of the application.
You will need to demonstrate that you have the academic background and the necessary skills and expertise to complete the course.
Value of Scholarship:
This scholarship invokes a donation of US$210m from the Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge.
This remains the largest single donation to a UK university and before you can be eligible to partake in this scholarship, you must portray a commitment to improving the lives of others.
This is an opportunity given to improve your life, therefore the Gates Cambridge programme hopes that this would inspire you to involve in improving the lives of others.
You would need to present evidence of said commitment from the past, as well as a document detailing current and future commitment to the societies in which you will live and work.
With this in mind, the Cambridge Bill Gates Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge. It also provides additional, discretionary funding.
- It provides the University Composition Fee at the appropriate rate
- Grants a maintenance allowance for a single student (£18,384 for 12 months at the 2022-23 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months) – for PhD scholars the award is for up to 4 years
- Sponsors and pays for one economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course including inbound visa costs & the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge
However, you should note;
In a situation where you are receiving a salary from an employer or have another substantial scholarship, the Trust reserves the right to reduce or not pay the standard maintenance allowance.
You should let the Trust know if you are awarded any funding for your degree at Cambridge.
Finally, in regards to funding, the costs are covered by the Scholarship but do not cover bench fees or the costs of scientific equipment or similar academic resources.
Eligibility For The University of Cambridge Bill Gates Scholarship
These are the benchmarks of those who can apply for a Cambridge Bill Gates Scholarship.
- You are an international student. Meaning that you are a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom.
- You are applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge either:
- If you are currently studying at Cambridge and wish to apply for a new postgraduate course you can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship.
- However, if you have already started a course you cannot apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to fund the remainder of it. This is a kind of entrance scholarship for postgraduate students.
- You would be required to present a personal statement, in no more than 500 words, stating in clear detail why you are applying for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship and how you meet the criteria.
- An accepted academic reference would be demanded. You should submit at least two academic references for admission, and the Gates Cambridge applicants are to submit a reference about their fit with the scholarship.
- In line with the selection criteria, you should provide evidence of their leadership experience to date and indicate how their leadership skills may have an impact on their future careers.
- You should present a well organised academic transcript.
Courses which are Not Eligible for Cambridge Bill Gates Scholarships:
This is a postgraduate scholarship therefore any Undergraduate degree, such as:
- BA (undergraduate)
- BA affiliated (a second BA)
- Business Doctorate (BusD)
- Master of Business (MBA)
- Master of Finance (MFin)
- MBBChir Clinical Studies
- MD Doctor of Medicine degree (6 years, part-time)
- Graduate Course in Medicine (A101)
- Part-time degrees
- Non-degree courses
Are not accepted for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship.
To be considered for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship you must complete the section to apply for admission to a course and a College place and the Gates Cambridge part of the funding section.
Gates Cambridge has access to the full application for admission and funding when reviewing applications.