How To Apply And Win The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships is valued at $50,000 for 3 academic years, while successful applicants are undergoing or studying their doctoral courses.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships was certified in 2008 by the Canadian government. The scholarship was named after Major-General Georges P.Vanier, who occupied the position of francophone governor-general of Canada.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships since its establishment has supported a lot of students studying a Doctoral course in Canada.
The scholarship paved the way for the retention of well renowned doctoral students in Canada, which has led to growth in the area of research and advanced learning in the country.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships are offered to about 166 successful doctoral applicants.
The scholarship is presently sponsored by 3 federal research agencies in Canada which are;
- The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- The Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
You might be interested to know that the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships, are available to both international graduate students and domestic students.
Read Also Top 10 MBA Scholarships In Australia
Application Procedure for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
Interested applicants who wish to apply for the scholarship should take note of the following points;
- Applicants must satisfy all the eligibility requirements written below and must notify the University, and must also be chosen by the University they wish to study their graduate course. It is against the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships policy, for applicants to apply directly.
- Applicants must possess the following relevant documents to aid their application process for the scholarship;
- Applicants must submit a ResearchNet application form.
- Applicants are expected to submit 2 letters from their guarantors.
- Applicants must submit an updated Curriculum vitae.
- Applicants must also submit a document that supports their leadership statement, not more than 2 pages.
- Applicants must also submit their leadership letter of reference to support their claim.
- Submission of not less than a 2-page research proposal.
- Applicants must also submit a 5-page project reference.
- Applicants are required to open an account, on ResearchNet and submit all relevant documents listed above in the right space provided.
- Applicants are also expected to fill all gaps correctly on the application form. Applicants’ chosen University will receive their information, and make the necessary decision.
- Once applicant universities are done reviewing all application forms submitted and have selected eligible candidates. Eligible applicants’ information will be sent by the University, to the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships selection committee.
Once the committee in charge of the scholarship has selected its candidates, they would send out an email to notify successful candidates for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships.
Eligibility Requirements for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
Below is a list of eligibility requirements for interested applicants who wish to apply for the scholarship;
- Applicants must be chosen by only one Canadian university, that has received the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships quota.
- Applicants must be applying for their very first doctoral degree whether it may be MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, or JD/PhD.
- Applicants must be about to commence their full-time doctoral studies or joint graduate research program, in the next semester or the next academic year once results are announced at their chosen University.
- Applicants must have undergone not less than 20 months of full-time study, in their doctoral course at their chosen University latest May 1st of the next academic year.
- The doctoral program must commence at the end of the applicant’s Master’s degree. The commenced months of study would be calculated, from the time applicants’ doctoral studies are supposed to commence.
- Applicants are eligible to apply for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships if they are citizens of Canada, or residents living permanently in Canada for international students.
- Applicants would be eligible if their doctoral courses of study fall under these various aspects of research listed below;
- Health research
- Natural sciences and/or engineering research
- Social sciences and humanities research
- Applicants must possess a first-class average, which is dependent on their University, for every duration of 2 years of full-time study at the University.
- Applicants are restricted from possessing a faculty appointment together with a Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships. However, if the applicant is on a leave of absence and is currently not occupying the position it could be overlooked.
- Applicants who presently or in the past have received a scholarship to cover their doctoral studies, or received any fellowship scholarship from any of the federal agencies listed are no longer eligible to apply or receive the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships; CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC.
Selection Criteria for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
Applicants would be selected for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships on 3 major criteria.
Therefore applicants are advised to possess, the 3 criteria listed below if they want to be nominated by their University of doctoral study for the Scholarship;
- Academic Excellence
- Research Potential
Please note that applicants’ research potential must show research they are currently working on, and list its essential contribution to promoting knowledge in the state fields.
Therefore, applicants must ensure that their updated Cv, personal leadership statement, referees assessments, research contributions, research proposal, and nomination letter that would be submitted during the application process should be done according to and accurately.
Applicants are expected to possess leadership skills.
Applicants’ leadership skills that would be portrayed must display their involvement in extracurricular or political functions such as; any leadership position in a student body or department of government, a sports group as a leader, or any other organisation where they held a post.
In conclusion, applicants or students must be nominated by their University of doctoral studies no less than November 1st 2023.
Interested applicants or students would be able to apply for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships from June 30th 2023.
This article contains all the necessary information about the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships. But for more information on other scholarship opportunities in Canada, please like and follow my page.
Kindly drop all questions and comments in the gaps provided.